Born somewhere around 2075, the Eton-educated son of an actress and an Egyptologist, Devlin Waugh is a sadistic vampiric gay exorcist who works on a freelance basis for the Judges of Vatican City. Best described as a cross between Arnold Schwarzenegger and Noel Coward with the face of Terry Thomas, the camp vamp has had a interesting career during which he has fought everything from other vampires to a supernatural assassin, and has even teamed up with Judge Dredd... although the pair got off to a bad start during a brief encounter at customs when Devlin attempted to gain entry to Mega-City One for a cat breeders' show. Devlin will not hesitate to risk un-life and limb for the sake of the greater good, though he does insist that everything stops for tea at four o'clock. His hobbies include bodybuilding and flower arranging.
Powers and abilities
PowersStandard vampiric powers.
AbilitiesTorturing captives; unarmed combat; painting; playing the piano; mastery of Kem Kwong killing techniques; administering first aid; interior decorating.
Strength levelStronger than an average human.
Used to have a problem with sunlight, before being bitten by the daywalking vampire Lilith. Still needs to drink blood daily to stop himself going on an uncontrollabe murderous rampage.
EquipmentCigarette holder; cigarette lighter; snuff box; extensive collection of vintage European erotica; pet cat called Grendel.
High calibre shotgun; spiked knuckledusters; blowtorch.
- Devlin Waugh debuted in the relaunched Judge Dredd Megazine #1 in 1992, but later transferred to 2000 AD in prog 1150.
- Devlin featured in a one-page humour strip written by Matt Smith and drawn by Jock in the 2000 AD 40th Anniversary Special. He was shown attending a party with some other Judge Dredd supporting characters which was abruptly terminated when Dredd (described by Devlin as "a frightful party-pooper") showed up.
- Devlin's brother Freddy is a professional gambler and pornographer who sold his soul to the devil.
- Dev narrowly escaped being called 'Dirk Devlin, Sin Eater'. He is now named after famous pessimistic Catholic author Evelyn Waugh (who incidentally mentions comics in his Sword of Honour trilogy).
- Appearances of Devlin Waugh
- Character Gallery: Devlin Waugh
- Images that feature Devlin Waugh
- Fan-Art Gallery: Devlin Waugh
- Devlin Waugh quotations
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: ·