Originally built by Professor CR Ritchie in the early 1950s, Archie was at first incapable of independent action and operated by remote control by either the professor or his son Ted and Ted's friend Ken Dale, who used him to fight injustice. Later, in the mid 1960s, Archie gained a degree of independence and a voice, which revealed him to have a likeable but pompous and boastful personality. He contested with various menaces including the alien Krulls and the creature known as The Sludge.
Powers and abilities
The Castle, a time machine shaped like a giant chess piece.
- Archie originally appeared in Lion from its first issue, dated 23rd February 1952, and subsequently appeared in various IPC titles including Vulcan.
- Archie was shown working in Tharg's Nerve Centre in 2000 AD prog 24 in 1977 (see quotes).
- In later years, several different versions of Archie appeared, including a version in Grant Morrison's Zenith series in 2000 AD which was depicted as a burned-out acid casualty, and an alternate reality version called 'Android Andy' in Alan Moore's Captain Britain series from Marvel UK.
- The character is now owned by Time Warner, and was revived in the US-published limited series Albion, in which a decommissioned and damaged Archie was rebuilt and revived after being discovered on display in the basement of a pub in Manchester by Bad Penny. This version of Archie was apparently destroyed in an attack on the castle formerly owned by Cursitor Doom, but his head remained intact so he could presumably be rebuilt.
- Appearances of Robot Archie
- Character Gallery: Robot Archie
- Images that feature Robot Archie
- Fan-Art Gallery: Robot Archie
- Robot Archie quotations
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·